Pages


Monday, September 10, 2012

Marvelous Monday

I really hate Monday's. I mean, I am pretty sure my bed is never as comfortable as it is any other time than Monday morning,. Yesterday I was out of bed at like five just chipper as a squirrel. This morning I hit my snooze about 17 times and barely made it to work on time. Luckily, I have premade coffee in my fridge, and I also whipped up some tasty breakfast sandwiches for my freezer the other day. I didn't take any pictures while I did it, mostly because I suck at taking pictures, but also because I am a terrible blogger and wasn't even thinking about it while I was slaving away in front of the stove. I didn't use this recipe (who needs a recipe for making a breakfast sandwich, oh wait I'm about to post one here) , but I used the same egg baking method. I think if you were going to eat the eggs right then it would be tasty, but I'm not really a fan of the yolks of hard boiled eggs especially after they are frozen and reheated. Next time I shall try another method. I digress... It was fast, and it was edible, and I fed the dogs the yolks... and everyone was happy. I actually think next time I will try making frozen b-fast burritos... mmm...

So I do have an actual real recipe to post here on the blog today. Shocking I know. I got it from Better Home and Gardens Canning edition. It was almost 10 bucks, but I think it was worth it. Here goes:

So Sweet Squash Pickles:
3 Small yellow summer squash cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (I used that fancy wavy cutter, worked like a charm)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 large red pepper cut into thin strips
1 Tbs pickling salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
3/4 tsp celery seeds
1/4 tsp dry mustard

I doubled this recipe and I also added turmeric...  This was an accident because I was making these at the same time I was making bread and butter pickles and I looked at the wrong recipe for a second... however, I like the addition and these things are freaking awesome. It made the onions all tasty and yellow too.

So back to the details. These are so so easy. They are just refrigerator "pickles" so need for any fancy canning equipment. Just remember that any recipe for "refrigerator" pickles of any kind means they have to stay in the fridge, and they only stay good a few months.

1. In a large nonmetal bowl combine the veggies and sprinkle with the salt, cover and chill one hour. Drain well.
2. Combine sugar, vinegar, and spices. Bring to a boil. Add veggies. Return to boiling, then remove from heat.
3. Ladle mixture into sterilized jars.
4. Chill at least 24 hours before serving.

Ta da! Someone will think you have mad skills if you make them these. I do beleive Chance must have said "These are SO good" at least 10 times during dinner.


These are bbq chicken tacos, but these sweet pickles would be good on just about anything. I also put them in potato salad the other day and it was awesome.


Chance approves this message.

See that pile of wedding stuff in the back of the picture? I moved that to the craft room tonight. It was a good accomplishment. Jessi moved out earlier this summer and I have just been delaying re organizing my craft stuff. My "dining room" feels giant again.

I have so many unfinished projects! The biggest one being the craft room. What's your biggest unfinished project?

Laters.
Ashley <3



1 comment:

  1. You are so creative, and make things all the time. You are the perfect person to have a blog!Hmm, projects...I need to paint my kitchen and make curtains.

    ReplyDelete